Thursday, 9 September 1999

is school a cave?

Are we completely sure that what our "teachers" are teaching us is true, or relevant to our lives? The projected lessons on the blackboard is just a curriculum they receive from the principal (warden) which in turn he/she receives from a higher entity. What is it that this curriculum wants to show us? What are the morals and what is the agenda of those(puppeteers) who create the curriculum? The education system, from grade school through college and post grad, is re-envisioned through an economic lens. Where is the love, respect, and happiness so essential to human societies? Everything is about our future jobs/professions, "they" make you think that if you drop out, you do not have a chance to advance in life. That is why we pay attention in class. We are afraid of this "exit door". Us children are inculcated into this industrialized, atomized mind set. Does the real world inspire rather than suppress, or are those just the schools? I do believe we are just prisoners looking at fun, useless BMW images on the wall projected by a small group or puppeteers in a cave. I'm happy though, because I have it all. I have a stereo that is very decent, a shirt that is getting very respectable. I am close to being complete, to graduation.

1 comment:

Brad Philpot said...

It sounds like you're critical of the metaphor. I wonder why though. What makes you doubt your teachers' reflection of the 'truth'. Didn't they teach you that 2+2=4? Keep up the good work.